Return of the Mac.

IMG_7297

Hello this is your sometime blogger Madame Tifaine returning with a mac.

I would appreciate your thanks in the UK as I’m pretty sure that I triggered our insane heatwave by making a raincoat. Said heatwave has meant that this yellow wonder has been languishing on the back of a chair for a few weeks.

IMG_7321

I’ve been able to give my new mac a thorough test drive this week as our wet weather returned with a vengeance. It has even survived a school trip. To a farm. In the pouring rain. Skills.

IMG_7308

Of course, on the morning I decided to finally photograph the coat the sun made an unscheduled appearance and shine away on my yellowness.

IMG_7329

So the technical bits because clearly making a fully waterproofed thing is not for the faint hearted. I have had a long love affair with my yellow seasalt jacket. In the Southwest it’s a pretty ubiquitous garment as they are made a hop skip and jump away in marvellous Penzance. My old faithful yellow mac began to fail after only a year of wear and I started to dream about making my own version. I found the Papercut Waver was the most versatile pattern for me, something that wont just make the one coat, I’m hoping to get a winter coat our of this one too. So score on the sustainabale pattern front.

IMG_7322

The Waver comes up a little bit big, I cut a small so that in the words of my mother ‘you can fit a nice thick jumper underneath’. Super sensible. I also cut a short length and left out the drawstring…this wasn’t a gathered waist moment.

IMG_7318

The yellow fabric is woven PUL which I bought from Stones Fabric in Totnes together with the funky lining…chosen by my best Dutch buddy! Merchant and Mills have got an almost exact match for the seasalt tincloth but I think I might have cried if I’d spent THAT much on fabric and fluffed it! Altogether my new coat has cost about £45 which is under half what I would have spent buying yet another new rain coat! My topstitching is better too…just saying.

I knew that I wanted to go the extra mile with functionality on this one and spent a considerable amount of time waterproofing all the seams with iron on seam tape. It worked! I’ve been nice and dry this week.

IMG_7317

I’ve also been flashing people with my blooms all week!

So I’ve finally made a coat and it wasn’t as painful as I thought it was going to be.

IMG_7304

and of course…I had to hang around the local docks to model this one properly.

Super class!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s